Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Death on the Beach


I read The Optimist's Daughter by Eudora Welty when I was traveling. It's the story of a woman who returns to Mississippi for her father's final illness. Through the funeral and its aftermath, she tries to make sense of her father's choice of an unpleasant, inappropriate woman as his second wife, his reaction to the death of her own mother, and the previous loss of her husband. The book is wonderful, but I read a lot of it, including the funeral scene, on the beach in Playa del Carmen. The disconnect between what I was reading and where I was sitting may have blunted some of the force of the book, but I still thought it was very moving and true. Yay!

4 comments:

Lollie said...

Love that cover, glad the inside was good too - I may steal it for our Bookclub...

Night Editor said...

That one's on my shelf. I adore Eudora. Now there's someone I'd ask to the proverbial dinner party. This one is full of quiet truths. And has a lot to say about women, class, and the South. Classic! (I can see where that would be a disconnect with your beach and jungle vacation!) Now I'm going to pull that one out again to read. Thanks for the reminder.

Boomer said...

I remember reading and liking Eudora Welty when I was in Idaho.

cK said...

Welty intimidates me. Stop it, Welty!