Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tangled Affairs

A Severed Head A Severed Head by Iris Murdoch


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I listened to this audiobook on the trip to S.D. for Christmas. It was very enjoyable -- a story about so-called sophisticated people trying to manage their love lives with multiple relationships and extra-marital affairs. The main character seems more concerned with "behaving well" in response to his wife's infidelity than getting angry. In fact, his mild reaction tends to belie his repeated avowals of love for her. That and the fact that he's been cheating on her for some time as well. Ultimately, the strength of his romantic relationships is contrasted with his fairly violent and more encompassing passion for an unlikely character. I really enjoy Murdoch's take on morality and human relationships.

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

Boomer said...

I haven't read any Murdoch in a very long time, but I really liked her particular brand of wierdness. I can't remember which titles I read, though. Nice review.