Sunday, December 7, 2008

Specs

I'm experimenting in the name of saving some dough -- I just ordered my new glasses online. These are them:





I came under the thrall of a blog call Glassy Eyes. This guy Ira has become enraged by the eyeglass industrial complex and after researching and using some eyeglass-selling Web sites, recommends that we spurn our money-grubbing opticians and order on line. I also have lingering resentment over the amount of money I've spent over the years on something I can't function without, so he had no trouble convincing me.

There's a certain amount of dinking around needed: you have determine what frames you want without being able to try them on and you have to learn about measurements and stuff. And this would be a lot easier and cheaper for someone with a weaker and less complicated prescription than mine (astigmatism! prism! bifocal! God.).

However, I stopped in at Vision World and priced out my prescription with lower priced frames and the thinnest lens (they always insist I get the "super high index" because of my coke-bottle-bottom lens) and it came to around $330. And that was with their "50% off the frames and lenses" special this week. I ordered the ones shown above, without the super thin lenses for $111.51.

They're supposed to be here in about a week. I'll let you know how it goes.

P.S. The kitchen is lovely and the contractors are gone. I still haven't finished the painting, but I don't care. It'll get done at some point. You should come over and see it!

No comments: