Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Great Minnesota Pig Pile

It was a crowded day at the Fair on Friday, but I managed to hit the high points, like the Creative Arts building (i.e. all the sewing, quilts, knitting, other needle arts, baked and canned goods -- basically the home ec crowd). The traditional and sentimental are favored by fair judges: oil paintings of firefighters labeled "The Brave and Unappreciated," the quilt in a traditional Scandanavian pattern, the crop art of a girl hugging her 4-H calf. So I'm always pleased when the entries get a little weird:


Dig that hem:

There's a red ribbon on that bad boy! I think that's a second tier award in MN State Fair parlance. (We did things a little differently in the S.D.)

I was also digging on this awesome knit (crocheted?) hat, complete with pearly ornaments:


That would look hot on my friend Betsy. I had the requisite fried cheese:

and then moved on to the Fine Arts Building, where the populace was all about the serious art:


Bring the art to the people, man! They can't get enough. But I'm biased: I buy all my art at the Fair. Which brings me, inevitably, to the crop art. Not the most exciting showing this year-- there was a large memorial to Lillian Colton and her work, though -- but I did enjoy this bit of oddness:

This one got the main prize and place of honor and deservedly so, I think.
And check out Dolly's hair!:
I made a quick stop at the dairy barn on my way out but only one of the butter heads had been carved:

For those of you unaware of our tribal customs, the finalists in the Princess Kay of the Milky Way pageant (a.k.a. the dairy queen contest) each get their heads carved in 60 pounds of butter while the populace watches entranced. The ladies also get to take their butter busts home and, presumably, have a huge corn-on-the-cob feed at which their nearest and dearest roll hot cobs over their heads. Good times!

7 comments:

Whiskeymarie said...

I want that skirt to be mine.
Seriously.

Oh, and the Dolly art.

Gotta love the fair...

The Girl Who Was Right said...

Who doesn't appreciate firemen? I love firemen.

I want that skirt too, but I want goldfish on mine. I think kewpie dolls are satanic.

Excellent State Fair coverage. I don't usually go, but a friend won a private box at the horse show deal for next Sunday, and we're going to watch a Canadian Mountain Police salute. I never was horsey, and I don't really care about the Mounties, but I simply adore private boxes.

-R- said...

How did I not know that you could watch the butter heads being carved?! And that the ladies get to take their butter heads home?! Ok, next year I am going to the Fair.

Boomer said...

i am very intrigued by the butterheads. it is the 1st time i feel i might have missed out on the pageant world.

Lollie said...

That's the most healthy I've Dolly Parton looking in about ten years...

Oh and great, now I need to add yet another accomplishment before I die: Have head immortalized in butter.

suspiciously pleased said...

and here i was all upset about not being able to attend . . . but sassmaster brought the mountain to us . . .

Night Editor said...

Nice to catch you at the fair and should have known you'd be documenting it with such flair! My daughter and I loved that you buy much of your art at the fair! And thanks again for the candy corn/peanuts tip--a big hit with the St. Agnes booth crowd. . . .

I'm a sucker for those butter heads. Someone should market miniatures for our midwest tables. . . .